Originally Posted by 458Win
[Linked Image]

Here is another photo showing the distances we were talking about. This is where we were standing and the dead bear can be seen in the background just left of the client

I posted this photo to show exactly how close and thick things were. The bear appeared in full charge from where the photo was taken and both me and the client are standing where we were. The boar was already in full charge when he became visible and maybe, just maybe, if I had started spraying bear spray as he erupted he might have changed his mind. Fortunately he was making quite a ruckus on his way toward us so I had my pistol in hand.

And for those who wanted to know about penetration here is a photo showing both the entrance and exit with the bullet still in place. this shot was not well placed as it was too far back and too high, but he was highly agitated and twisting and biting each time I hit him.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.