Just a few observations. Critical to Phils observation is being able to hit your target. One thing to hit a paper target, he's got a LOT more experience being under pressure of a bear. I can tell you from experience, being in close proximity to grizzlys will definitely promote some Adrenalin in to the old blood vessels. They also don't help your shooting abilities. I agree that a good hard cast 357 is a bout minimum, but hitting the brain or CNS at a few feet is not an easy task. Takes nerves of steel. It doesn't hurt to be over prepared. I prefer rounds that start with a .4..

Any time a black bear decides to follow you, you better be on your game as that is a bear that is looking for an opportunity to have a picnic, with you as the primary meal. Black bears can get curious, and try to get a better look or smell, but they don't typically follow you. As Art is saying I especially don't trust black bears with pepper spray. Yes it may work, but the bear will be back once he's past the influence of the spray. When you are close enough to need the spray, I'd prefer a little more influence to determine the outcome.

What works for one bear may or may not work on another. I remember several years ago down on the Russian River a guy fishing only had a 9mm. He shot it several times and the bear eventually died, but it could have gone either way depending on proximity. It was a juvenile bear and they can be testy.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain