Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I dunno why anyone would buy s friggin Harley anyway. They tout the American made crisp but it's really just American assembled. And the price you pay is simply for a name

You are a moron.
Get your facts straight.

Good luck with that one.

First of all let us dispense with some of the more egregious accessories:

Official Harley Davidson boots - China
HOG Leathers - S. Korea
Official Harley-Davidson lingerie, t-shirts, bandannas, gloves, raingear, jeans etc etc - various Third World sweatshops.

As to the bikes themselves, Harley is understandably vague on the topic, stating that the 'amount of foreign-sourced parts varies between models and model years' (are the recent 500 and 750 "Street" models really assembled in India?). But as for those regular Harleys assembled here, its been awhile since I looked into it but I'm recalling....

Keihin and Mikuni carbs- Japan
Arai wheels - Japan
Showa forks - Japan
Nippon Denson electronics/wiring - Japan
Virtually all bolts and fasteners - Taiwan

Thirty years ago the rumor was that Gold Wings, by then assembled in the US, incoporated more domestic parts than the average Harley.

Feel free to correct me where I err.

Birdwatcher

Sure,
1- Official Harley Davidson boots - China
HOG Leathers - S. Korea
Official Harley-Davidson lingerie, t-shirts, bandannas, gloves, raingear, jeans etc etc - various Third World sweatshops.

That's bling and crap. It has nothing to do with the motorcycle.

2- Keihin and Mikuni carbs- Japan

Dude, Harley hasn't put out a big twin with a carburetor in 12 years, 10 on a Sportster.
Modern throttlebodys are cast and made in the USA. the components are Delphi as it the ECM.

3-Arai wheels - Japan

WTF are you talking about? Maybe in the 70's mags under AMF
Harley spoke wheels are hand made in WI with USA parts (except bearings)
Mag wheels are cast in the USA

4- Showa forks - Japan

Yeah? So what?
No motorcycle manufacturer makes their own suspension unless you count Honda owning Showa and Kawasaki Heavy Industry's owning KYB.
Harley Buells had White Power suspension. Made in USA

5-Nippon Denson electronics/wiring - Japan

Wrong, Nippon Seiki does make a lot of the gauges. Tell me a manufacturer of anything that makes their own gauges.
All wiring harness are manufactured in the USA. The components like Molex, AMP and Deutsch are standard in any car or motorcycle.

6- Virtually all bolts and fasteners - Taiwan

Pure BS, all grade 3,5,7 and 8 bolts and hardware are USA made and are of the highest quality in the industry. Better quality than anything I have seen on any Jap bike.

I'll add that the frames are made here with USA steel. Heads,cylinders,crank and trans cases, rocker,cam,trans,primary covers are cast aluminum cast and finished in the USA.
Crank,rods transmission gears and shafts, Some are forged here and some are forged in Mexico but they all are machined and finished here in the USA.
Sheetmetal-USA
ABS Plastic body parts are made in USA.

The % of import parts gets distorted when you have 350 import electrical pins and sockets along with the connectors.
When it gets down to the meat and potatos everything of importance is made in the USA by hard working Americans.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]