Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Bought a KLR and having a blast

A KLR ain't really a dirt bike, more like a dirt road bike, unless you go slow and methodical.

That being said, its a $6,000 bike that will haul you in comfort 1,000 miles a day on the superslab, pulling 80 all day long (been there done that, repeatedly). It also makes an awesome urban commuter; light, agile, reasonably quick, and able to handle crappy road surfaces, plus in slow traffic the cooling fan kicks in over the radiator and it doesn't run hot.

Most fun of all though, get on a winding motorcycle road and run with the fast boys cool With only thirty horses at the back wheel ya gotta hit every shift, line and braking point just right, but done right it can be done. Leaned hard over and flogged the first thing that's gonna touch down is the handlebar (if that happens you've pushed it too hard grin) Don't bother looking at the tach, that big thumper will tell you all you need to know.

All of that and they run forever cool

I give 'em two thumbs up.

Birdwatcher

My bike before the KLR was a Triumph thunderbird, loved to look at it but the ride sucked. I used to watch all those foreigners fly into anchorage, rent KLR's and drive the haul road up and back. They all looked happy and got bit by the adventure bike bug. I use mine for communiting, rides to the beach or lunch with my wife, but I really love getting of fire/forest service roads and finding new hunting/fishing spots. Great relief from a week of mental anguish at work.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's