Originally Posted by jorgeI
Given the "popularity" of killing, stopping, enough power etc, threads, I thought to start one here and hopefully avoid the freak show and the usual suspects with this example: Let's say you just dropped large coin on a deposit for Lord Derby Eland in the CAR. BIG COIN. You have just about every caliber/rifle available in your arsenal. So, do you take the "only shot placement/bullet construction" matters angle and take your 243 or whatever "AI" or your 375 H&H with (my choices) 270gr Barnes Triple Shocks, Swift AFrame ? Fire away....

PS: My philosophy:
In my experience, which is of course limited, all else being equal - and by that I mean equal bullet performance and shot placement, and non-CNS hits - bigger diameter bullets at higher velocities kill faster.

If that's the choice, the answer's obvious: .375. Personally I would use North Fork 300 grain soft points, having had success with them in the past.

But everything has it's purpose. John Kingsley-Heath, in his book, "Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa," claims that the .243 is the best cartridge for leopard over bait. Why? Because the nervous system of cats is very susceptible to shock from high velocity and leopards don't weigh very much.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.