Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

I'm likely atypical here. I only load for DR's to make it affordable. The smaller stuff is cheap enough to purchase at retailers. I don't do much recreational shooting, I'm a bicycle racer and devote copious amounts of free time and energy to my training. I will usually start to shoot and practice with the DR's 3-4 months prior to a hunt. I live right on the edge of the desert out in Phoenix and can be shooting in a few minutes. I can go before work and get in a few shots about anytime.

Well, I hear you on the time issue... if you're a bicycle racer, I have a hard time imagining you have time for anything else! I agree on the reloading/storebought price issue, and although I was a handloads-only guy for many years, I've softened my stance somewhat in the past few years. Since I got my first (and second, and now third) .243 I've not handloaded a single round and half a dozen Texas whitetails have been rendered into tasty steaks, chops and burgers thanks to excellent factory ammo.

I envy you the close proximity to a shooting spot. I used to have the same access when I still lived in West Texas, literally 5 blocks from the gun range. Now it's only 15 minutes, but it still ain't what I really want... I want a place where I can step out on my back porch in my boxer shorts and flip-flops and light off a dozen rounds with my morning coffee, or any time. Maybe some day.

Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

As far as AB failures, I have yet to see one. I would think Central Savanna Buffalo would be a "worst case" test, and they simply exceeded my expectations. Mike Fell also commented as to the performance of the bullets on Buffalo.

Steve

My experience with AB's is equally good. I've shot (or my family members have shot) 17 white tailed deer, 5 pronghorn, and 1 nilgai cow with AB's and so far I've only recovered one bullet (the nilgai). All the rest were pass-throughs. But all 24 animals were killed quickly and cleanly, with the exception of the nilgai, which I hit too far back. The bullet broke her offside shoulder, though, so she went down quickly and was dispatched in short order thereafter. I have to really wonder about the guys who claim AB's break up or fail to penetrate.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars