Originally Posted by Dogger
RinB's logic and experience is why i have stopped short of buying so many rifles in so many different chamberings the last ten years. I know that my M700 in 280 Remington will do anything i need doing. Knowing that has kept me from buying a 270, a 3006, and a host of other "must have because" cartridges. It has kept me from falling for the 6.5 Creedmoor koolaid, and likely a 26 Nosler... lol

Agreed. I've only been bitten by the bug (where I could afford more rifles) for about 5 years. I started planning every possibility in my head until I had an epiphany. In the real world, the difference on paper between between a 270 win and 7-08 are not as significant. Also, the weight difference between a 7.5-8# all up rig wasn't worth the extra $1000 - $2000 for me.

Now, I fully plan builds and analyze ballistics on paper. But, I almost always stop before I regret it. I settled on a 30-06 Savage bedded into Boyds for my hunting rig with a .243 M77 Ruger as my light gun. I'll probably toy with a M70 classic SS 7 Rem I have to possibly take the 30-06's place and add a Talkeetna down the road. That should round me out for life.