Very Very Good M D and I thank you. I have a few comments or ?? and w/o quoting and deleting I'll copy & paste what I'm referencing.

** " One reason the older generation is obsessed with muzzle velocity and a flat trajectory (or at least an initially flat trajectory) is those are exactly what hunters have been obsessed with during the history of rifles, especially after the introduction of practical smokeless rifle powders in the 1880's." **

Are you saying I'm OLD school ? smile Why, yes I am. wink

** "Muzzle velocity made the most difference in trajectory over typical hunting ranges, with ballistic coefficient definitely being secondary." **

** "In fact, laser rangefinders and dialing scopes (or even good long-range reticles, if you can't stand the thought of a dialing scope) make a few inches of extra bullet "drop" irrelevant." **

I am on the same page w/you in this context. WHY I haven't changed to Adjusting Scopes is 400 yds is TYPICALLY the longest distance I have op to shoot at game, -- 500 yds being the exception.
In other context 500 yds is NOT long range -- I understand that. smile

Where I've hunted even between 200-400 yds there is OFTEN not enuff time to Bino, LRF, Read Chart, Dial Scope, Aim, Shoot. That takes time and at LONG range guys have that kind of time. It is much quicker to use MPBR with your LOAD --IF you know your trajectory.

** "But with high-BC bullets there's no real need to start them at super-high velocity, because they retain far more velocity than older controlled-expansion bullets. Thus they can be started at 2800 fps or so and still work well on close-range game, even the "cup-and-core" high BC bullets--and because they retain far more velocity at longer ranges, they'll still expand way out there." **

I also AGREE when the terrain allows you to see/watch the game for a reasonable amount of time. I have NO problem or opposition with High BC & slowER velocity IF you have time to use it.

** "I realize the obsession with muzzle velocity isn't going away, because it's what most open-country hunters have been obsessed with for over a century." **

I think you are right there also. As for me, what can I say....I LIKE fast bullets. grin

Again Thnx and I appreciate the time it took you to post all that. As someone else said, "You could have gotten paid for that... & we got it free." whistle

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!