Dogger,

If you knew RinB as well as I do, you'd also know that he still constantly buys and sells rifles, trying to find perfection. He swears off once in a while, but then a year or so later is right back in it.

However, his story about the guy who couldn't shoot a damn kudu at 115 yards because he "needed" to dink around with his high-tech gear is also familiar. Even before the recent changes some hunters were guilty of similar delays. I know this from doing some guiding myself over the years. One of my "favorites" was a guy from Maine who came to Montana on his first pronghorn hunt. He'd hunted quite a bit for whitetails, caribou and moose, but this was his first Western trip.

I was driving along a ranch road, headed for a reliable area I knew well, when a small herd suddenly appeared next to the road. The buck was pretty darn good, especially for a first antelope, and it was early in the season so the herd wasn't very spooked, so we got out and lay down on a small hill next to the road, my client with his 7mm Remington Magnum.

By that time the herd had stopped about 200 yards away "That's a GOOD buck," I said, expecting the guy to shoot, since I'd seen him loading the chamber. When he didn't I looked over, finding him looking through HIS binoculars, so I said, "Shoot him. He's not going to stand there forever."

The guy finally dropped his binoculars, but then started fiddling with his scope. By then the antelope had decided to move on, but still weren't terribly alarmed, trotting slowly. They'd started to slow down to stop again, still only about 250 yards away, when the guy finally shot--and of course missed.

Afterward I asked him what he'd been doing with his scope. It turned out he felt 200 yards was way to far for a 4-12x variable set on 4x, so he was turning it all the way up....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck