Mule Deer,
In support of my thoughts about the greatness of the 270W I must cite you to the writings of my buddy JOHN BARSNESS.

He recently wrote an article on the great 270W for RIFLE. He makes a brilliant analysis of the significance of BC. MR BARSNESS forcefully makes the point that BC doesn’t matter much inside 500 yards. In his article on the 6.5-06, MR BARSNESS makes the same compelling point. Further, he explains how the ancient beast, the 270W not me, is flatter shooting than the 6.5 Creedmore within 500 when using the classic load of 130’s at 3100.

Who am I to dispute his erudite analysis? In the words of Master Yoda, unassailable his logic is!

Me, I have used many different 130’s all at around 3100. For the last 10 to 12 trips I have mostly used various monos.

I have never gotten more than 2850 with 150’s using older powders and 2850 doesn’t do much for me. The 2750 “steak” has even less sizzle. R26 has changed that. I am getting ready for trip #25 and thought I would try lead core 150’s at 3000. In PM’s MR BARSNESS has told be how well the 150 NPtn works so I decided to follow his advice. I threw in the 150 LRAB just to take advantage of the “free lunch.” I would continue to use the 130’s but MR B was quite emphatic about greatness of the 150 Partition (despite its BC).

Lastly, wind isn’t much a concern for me. I am a rather delicate fellow and if the wind blows, I retire to the lodge for a martini and snacks.

So, I suggest you contact MR BARSNESS. He is a fine fellow, a good man. He has a first rate mind. I believe he lives near you.
Cheers.

Last edited by RinB; 02/18/18.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.