RinB,

Thanks for the Creedmoor news.

It's an interesting little cartridge. My first was a Ruger Hawkeye with a 26-inch barrel. Not only did its very first 5-shot group at 100 yards (without the benefit of any barrel "break-in") measure .63 inch, but was shot with Hornady 140-grain A-Max factory ammo on a moderately gusty day. That was in 2010.

There wasn't as much published data around back then, or as many new wonder-powders, but Ramshot Hunter looked like it had real potential. With Ramshot's listed max charges, the 120-grain Ballistic Tip with got 3094 fps, and 140 Berger VLD's 2845, both with excellent accuracy. (In case somebody suspects my chronograph might have been faulty, it was an Oehler 35P that showed right-on velocities from other rifles that day.)

Another interesting thing about the Creedmoor is the SAAMI maximum average pressure is 62,000 PSI, somewhat mild compared to the 65,000 PSI for a number of other rounds. Some people complain about Hornady brass being "soft" because primer pockets open up, but when I've asked what loads they're using, they're always well above listed maximums. (Apparently the fixation on muzzle velocity is just about universal.) I still have some of the Hornady brass from 2010, and primer pockets are still tight.

I ended up selling that rifle, but have owned a couple other 6.5 Creedmoors since, and thoroughly tested a couple of others for articles, one a Savage and the other a Fierce. The WORST shooting rifle of any was one of the others I owned, an inexpensive factory sporter, and it's first 5-shot group at 100 yards was still under an inch.

My present 6.5 Creedmoor is a Ruger American Predator, purchased slightly used off the Campfire Classifieds for $350. I was fresh out of Hornady factories when it showed up, so loaded up a popular Creedmoor accuracy combo, 41.5 grains of H4350 with 140-grain Berger VLD's. After getting one shot on paper at 100 yards, I fired four more, which all basically went into the same hole, the 5-shot group measuring .33 inch.

Will give your regards to Ms. Clarke!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck