Art,

I never said that AccuBonds penetrate as well as Barnes X, or other monolithics. I merely pointed out the statistics derived from my hunting notes, which include a LOT more AccuBonds than five, and not only at least as many Barnes X's of various sorts but Nosler E-Tips and Hornady GMX's.

I also pointed out that the Barnes X's tended to be smaller and lighter than the AccuBonds for the same size of game, and the reason is (of course) is that smaller, lighter monolithics (along with similar-acting bullets like the late Fail Safe) tend to out-penetrate just about all lead-cored bullets--"just about all" because some lead-cores, such as the North Fork, penetrate very similarly to monos. But Noryh Forks only have a little sliver of lead in the tip. (The Fail Safe had a lead core in the rear, but the front end opened just like X's, E-Tips, etc.

In general, for a certain job I tend to pick AccuBonds of the same weight and caliber as Partitions, but expect a slightly smaller percentage to exit, because AccuBonds usually end up expanding into a wider, more rounded mushroom. But when I do pick an AccuBond of the same weight and caliber as a Partition, I still expect it to exit on broadside shots, though sometimes they don't when going through both shoulders and spine, But then the animal is down anyway. Oh, and sometimes they don't exit animals in the 1000+ pound size-range on broadside shots, but then neither do all monolithics.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck