Originally Posted by WAM
79S,
Listen to your friend about the 168 TTSX. I have had the same experience with them, that’s why I still load them! Likely, the .470 BC is not a handicap to most hunters. If you need something with an extremely high BC, it’s not your huckleberry.

True. Our experience with MRX, TTSX and now LRX has been consistently good with no lost game and about 50% straight-down DRT. None have gone far.

While a .470 B.C. used to be pretty good, today's bullets leave that in the dust with numbers in the .5xx to.7xx range. At the ranges where most game is taken a .470 B.C. is more than adequate. Daughter #1 uses a 130g TTSX in her .308 Win, B.C. .350, and has taken game with it out past 350 yards with bang-flop results. Last year she got her muiie buck at with her hubby's .300WSM and a 165g TTSX, B.C. .442, at around 200 yards. Bang-flop on that one, too.

The 160g Speer Grand Slams I used for 20+ years in my 7mm RM have an advertised B.C. of .397. Pathetic - yet they killed many elk, and deer and antelope for me. Longest on elk was a nice bull at 411 yards lasered in 2015. Four steps and down.

The 100g TTSX I use in my .257 Roberts had an advertised B.C. of .357. Antelope don't know that and drop anyway.

High B.C. values are nice but it you have to have a special fast-twist barrel to use them they lose their advantage. They tend to be heavier as well, which means reduced velocity. May times they don't catch up to lighter bullets until way past normal shooting ranges. I have a Savage 111 I'm planning to rebarrel to 6.5 PRC. Great ballistics with a .625 B.C. for the Nosler 142g ABLR, but I have other loads with lower B.C. values that shoot flatter at normal ranges. In one comparison I ran the 6.5 PRC didn't start winning until about 1,000 yards. I don't ever plan to shoot game anywhere near that far.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/04/19. Reason: added a B.C. value

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.