Ya that’s true , unless you had a slow speed camera at impact we can only surmise from the picture. Straight ol cupncore bullets have definitely given some less then stellar results in many cases , yet a majority of time work fine. I prefer to tip the scales with mono or bonded construction.
My hunting buddy killed a decent bull moose that in my opinion should not have died. It defied physics but we skinned the bull out. 300 yrd shot 7mm RM and his hand loads of 154 gr interloc . Perfect standing broadside shot ( I was glassing/ranging) seen a good impact in the boiler room tight behind the shoulder. We had to track that bull about 100 yrds but he was stone dead when we got to him . On skinning we found the bullet with a good mushroom between the hide and the rib .... on the impact side. No hole in the diaphragm, basically blunt force trauma to lungs and liver.
I believe holes kill , but how do you argue with a dead bull.

Worst part is my stubborn ol pal is still loading his favourite load, one bullet I’ll leave out of my reloading room without question.

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, don’t pet the sweaty stuff.