I always thought of the 243 as a cartridge for experienced hunters. Of course it is fine for young ones and ladies within their range abilities. I was surprised when in Colorado I ran in to two game wardens on a bus drivers holiday, they were both hunting elk with 243s. I always carried some sort of magnum from 7RM to 375 but now if I ever hunt elk again I would probably use my 6.5x55 light weight. With the bullets available today the 243 is very close and would do fine for a hunter who picks his shots.

Jack O Conner praised the 257 Roberts for sheep hunting and Warren Page shot numerous head of game in New Zealand with his wildcat 6mms which were the predecessors of the 243 and 6mm. He shot multiple red stags and other assorted deer, goats and sheep with them with no reported incidents.

The main thing is to get out after them and the cartridge is far less important than hunting skill. With the 243 you should be more concerned about getting the elk off the ridge after the shot. That's what younger friends are good for.

I take glucosamine + chondroitin a couple of weeks before a hunt and Alleve or other analgesic when hunting to delay the sore muscles and joints. Some odd remedies have helped like accupunture and CBD oil, these especially after a car accident aggravated all the aches. I suspect surgery might be somewhere down the line.

Any new rifles will have 257 Weatherby or less recoil levels.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli