Originally Posted by comerade
Yeah, I am in my 60's now and forced to address the constant ache of altered , overused shoulders.
Otherwise , I am in good shape and cannot stand a muzzle brake and carry lightweight equipment.
Yup, upgraded recoil pads, use a shooting vest on the bench and won't use a leadsled.
I love the view from the top of the steepest mountain .
I am debating on taking the little .243 for elk, mule deer and Bighorns this year. I have killed elk with it before and I feel with the best monolithic bullets these days it is adequate. Bullets these days have changed the rules, imo.
350 yards is far enough and nothing much stops a solid copper bullet.
Anyways, like politics and religion it should draw a variety of strong opinions.What is yours?

Comerade, Have you considered an auto-loading, gas gun? I own 3 browning BAR II stalkers in .243, 30-06, and 338 win. (These are the ones with black synthetic stocks, parkerized finish, and iron sights.) While the BARs are a little heavier than most hunting/bolt rifles, these stalkers are lighter than most BARs. Felt recoil is much less than my bolt rifles, of the same caliber. I found a gunsmith that put 2.75 lb triggers on all three trigger groups. Once I figured out the right forearm torque and ammo each gun likes, 1/2" 3 shot groups are the norm, for all three rifles.

These guns are very recoil friendly, add a softer/aftermarket recoil pad, they should be even more so. I would think a 308 or 06 would serve you well?

Andy3