After reading thru this thread several times I thought I'd join in and see what ya'll suggest for my similar/ but not exactly the same shoulder situation.

13 years ago at age 62 I had a huge 22oz non malignant tumor removed from underneath my right ear, with all 5 nerve trunks going into the right shouder either cut or torn. Long story short after that surgery I was not able to extend my arm or raise my elbow above my shouder. Spent 18 months of "rehab" and way too many opioids and eventually got to where I could pull my zipper up and brush my teeth with my right hand. Rejoined most daily activities over the years but with no overhead reach or strength and extreme pain possible whenever my elbow went above my shoulder.

Began to hunt again 10 years ago, but slowly the shoulder's reach and strength has begun to errode again. starting 3 years ago, and now I flinch big time with a Past Pad at the range, and again even on a game shot with a normally loaded 9lb+ 270 M70 Sporter...and have not shot more than a few rounds off the bench with anything much sincethen even with a T3 Swede SL, a USRAC M70 Fwt 7x57 because of pain and flinching. Bought a Wby VG 308 for the weight and a Wby VG SS 7Rmg even planned to put a muzzle brake on the Big 7 and planned to download for both of them on, but have not shot either of them.
Had a MRI 3 weeks ago that confirmed the lack of need for surgery for a shoulder seperation or torn rotator cuff repair job HOORAY and only confimed the presence of "bone spurs" ....Last week I got a steroid shot of 3 short/medium/long acting steriods and got some releif that comes and goes but was finally able to fully raise my hand to full overhead exstension for the 1st time in 13 years....and without pain. OTOH Doc sez I can only get these steriod shots every 4 months, but can get them for the rest of my life if need be.

I want to start hunting typical Texas critters again as at 75 I've still got a few years left in me ...so do I dump the deer rifles I have or just download them ? Or do like my attorney did after a car wreck wrecked his shoulder, when he went from a 270 and into a 22-250 and finally into a crossbow ...or do I just sell everything I;ve got and get into the smaller deer/hog capable calibers ?
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.