Originally Posted by comerade
I recall as a kid in the 70's many local hunters moved up to .338's , because they felt our 30/06's and .270's weren't adequate for bull elk.
Times have changed, and the heavy recoilers are gathering dust and hunters have had a rethink.
It is the amazing new bullets we use these days.
I think it has also questioned the kinetic energy as killing power mindset.
It has changed many of the rules.
The wound channel through vitals is a will work, if the tiny little bullet gets into and through and into the vitals. A ragged, deep wound channel, the mono's tend to penetrate deeply.

I remember all of those guys as well. My 338 was a 'deal' when I bought it. Shot it a few dozen times and even took a few elk with it. It's gone the way of the Dodo bird. The one 'heavy' kicker I sold that I'd like to have back is my Blaser. Should have just bought a different barrel.
My 30-06 weighs right at 7 lbs with scope and no pad. Thinking of getting a soft pad and doing like MD's Eileen did with her 308 and going to a lighter load.

I remember as my Dad got older he didn't enjoy shooting the 30-06 much. So, I gave him one of my 25-06's. He shot that rifle nearly as much as he did a 22 lr, he enjoyed it that much. (and he had a son that would reload for him as well)

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.