About the only time I shoot my .35 Whelen anymore is just before my next elk hunt to be sure it's still sighted in. I'm getting signs that arthritis is in both shoulders and recoil doesn't make them feel any better. My load run a 225 gr. Barnes TSX at 2510 FPS at the muzzle.

My 30-06 pushing a 165 gr. Accubond at 2880 FPS isn't much better so I don't shoot it all that much any more. I do have a .280 Rem isn't all that bad with recoil even with top loads because it's so damn heavy.

What all this boils down to is I've been playing with few rifles in 7x57 and loading the ammo at or close to 7-08 levels. I get decent results with the 150 gr. Partition, but not with the ABLR. None of the rifles seem to like the 160 gr. Speer hot Core and so far the 140 gr. Barnes TSX has been a disaster. I'm kind of leery regarding the 7x57 as the only two animals I have ever lost were shot with a 7x57. Dunno if that's something significant or like some kind of message but it is what it is. I know the Whelen will do the job and the 06 works nicely. ll I can ad to that is bullet failure was responsible I believe on the first deer and my body on the second loss, so nothing to blame on the cartridge, just bad luck.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE