I had to use the 220 Swift ( It was Mod 700 Classic take off barrel ( 24" sporter) I had put on a Model 7 synthetic, pillar bedded and the rear action screw changed to a Model 700 screw) and that 6x47 because my wife was with me when I asked the Dr. could I hunt after my neck fusion. His "Academic" reply was "Yes, but it has to be a rifle with very little recoil". So, I had a muzzlebrake put on the 220 Swift (just to show her it was just a loud .22 then) and the 6x47 I had made up was on a Mod 700 .223 action and a 27 inch Shilen ( to help with speed) I used BLC2 behind that 85xbt for a chronographed 2900 and few feet of change. It was accurate too, hovered right at 1" and under for 5 rds. I had it set in a Lone wolf synthetic ( which wasn't that lightweight, come to find out) so no brake was needed (the Swift didn't either, I just wanted her to see it, and I could "see the bullet strikes" for varmints then too) . Just a "pop" out int he field. I killed an axis doe first, high lung shot. Then a big Axis buck in full velvet. We later on saw the Oryx and I traded the Swift and some money to the rancher for the bull Oryx. He actually measured 41 1/2" long. 184yds, base of neck, 75yd insurance. I later had that rifle converted/rechambered to .243 and took it/gave it to my friend in South Africa for a culling rifle. He was ecstatic with that 27" barrel on it! I have played with many .243s and I don't care for the short barrels. I like at least 22" for coyotes and 24" for deer/everything else. It just makes me "feel better".
Another option is a 240 Weatherby. It is not a heavy recoiling round, but the same as a 25-06 with same weight bullets I'd say. My good friend out here uses a Mark V 240 Weatherby and 95 Partition ofr mule deer and elk. He and his son have killed some pretty big bulls with it too!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/08/19.