Originally Posted by JTrapper73
The government needs to leave them alone and stay out of it, but I could care less if I ever saw another one.
We've had an amish community a couple of counties away from us for several generations but they've worked all over the southern part of the state. Some do great work, others not so great. They have been there long enough that they have outgrown their communities and a lot of the locals won't sell the kids any land, especially farm ground, so they are moving out.
We are starting to get them in our county and this bunch is coming out of New York. They're selling farms for big money there and moving to areas where land is not nearly as expensive like here. My part of the state is not typical amish country. Way too many hills and rough ground, not the flat or gentle rolling ground like they typically inhabit.
I have been around them working on job sites and had other dealings with them. They love to act ignorant. That's one of their favorite tactics. They are hard on livestock and hard on women and there is no end to their creativity when it comes to screwing someone out of a dollar. You better be real careful if one is nice to you. They aren't who you think they are. The other day, my friend sent me a picture of an amish horse and buggy tied to a sign at the hospital. The sign said, "Veteran's Parking."
Oh yeah, that's one thing you won't find in an amish community......... a VFW.

JTrapper,

some do great work, others not so great?

Dang, that sounds like those colored folks, and some Mexicans, Ukranians, and even..........................white Volk.

Selling property in NY for big money and moving to your area?

Dang, that sounds like some Californians moving to "pick a State"..............or even Iowans, Minnesotans, and Ohioans moving to TX or other Southern States.

As to non-service in the military.............there have been many conscientious objectors from various religions, and likely even atheist ones, over the years.

Seems like there's some dislike around here for living in a free country.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?