Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'm not a total hater of the Amish/Mennonites. I respect them in many ways, as they are hard workers, and pretty much believe in taking care of themselves without involving government. I do a lot of business with them, as they do with me, and as others have said, they're like other folks in that there are good ones, bad ones, and all kinds in between.

Among my many gripes about them is how they expect us, the English as they call us, to allow them to live as they choose, while we must change our habits to allow that. They have a propensity to ignore our laws if those laws do not suit their religious view about something. Most of the ones here believe that it's okay to kill as many deer as they can, regardless of the bag limit. They see no problem with trespassing, as many of them see the land as belonging to God, which while true, does not give them the right to go on someone else's land without permission.

In order to operate a motor vehicle here in Kentucky, I must first have a drivers license. I must pay to take the exam, and then pay to renew that license every 4 years. I can then buy a car, and when I do I pay sales tax on it, plus property tax every year that I own it, and I will also pay some type of transfer tax when I license it in my name. I will pay every year for a license plate for my car, and I also must have insurance on it in order to get that license plate. Some cities will tax that insurance policy. Okay, now I've got my drivers license and my car, and I'm ready to drive. That car requires gas, and that gas is taxed, both state and federal. If I buy tires, they also have a federal tax, and any other repairs or parts I buy for my car are taxed as well. You can count it up, but in order to legally drive a car, I'm going to either be taxed or have to pay a fee at least 10 times.

Meanwhile, that Amish or Mennonite that drives his horse and buggy, or tractor on the same highway, does not have a drivers license, nor insurance, or a license plate, nor do they pay any gasoline tax, or any other thing that I must pay. The taxes that I am paying are money that is used to build those roads and keep them repaired. In other words, they are using the roads pretty much free. Add to that the fact that steel horseshoes and steel wheel tractors eat up the pavement, so they are damaging the words when they use them. Most of what they use is exempt from sales tax because of the farm exemption.

I've saved by best gripe for last. They have moved into my area in large numbers, and they make up at least half of the local volunteer fire department. When we have a meeting, we always have the pledge of allegiance to the flag. We noticed that they did not say it. When asked why, they said it was because the United States is a warring nation, and they do not believe in war. Well, guess what...........wars are what have given those basturds the freedom of religion that allows them to drive those damn buggies up and down the road. Wars are what gave them the right to live in a country where they can worship as they please. Wars are what gave them the right to be exempted from many things, including not having to serve in the military that fights those wars. In other words, they don't like what this nation does, but they sure as heck don't mind living here and getting wealthy as a result of what it has to offer. That is about as pitiful a thing as I can think of. If they don't want to fight in time of war, they should be made to do something to support the effort, not be allowed to sit on their azz when the pledge of allegiance is said.

Hey James, It's a public road. You have the same right to ride a pony or drive a team down it as the Amish do. Buy a buggy, get one over on "the man".

Just like my internet friend Birdy....................he gets over on the man riding that bicycle all around the US of A. Prolly don't have no license for it or himself.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?