Not so much the maximum range where the elk will be, but the ability of the shooter to hit an elk at that range. First elk I killed was with a.308 at a little over 400 yards. At that time I was doing a lot of NRA, 3 position shooting out to 600 yards with service rifles, M1 and Springfield 03's (no scope). I was confident of my ability. Would not do that today. Whether it is a once in a life time hunt or yearly hunt,using any rifle such to extend the shooting range past the hunters ability is folly.The same as taking a shot at poor presentation angled shot thinking the magnum will get thru to the vitals.I see it every year .

Contrary to many hunters thoughts, elk are not all that hard to kill.I have killed elk with a 30-30, 44mag, 45-70, .308, 30-06, 7mm mag, and a 50 caliber muzzle loader from 10 yards to 400+. They all died about the same, except the few when I messed up the shot. Longest tracking job was one I shot with a 7 mag many years ago. I really messed that one up.I was over confident of the 7mags ability.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/30/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles