Originally Posted by smokepole
Any fool can quote ballistics tables. And any fool can draw the obvious conclusion that you keep repeating with a sense of discovery, that "at some range the difference between a .308 Win and .300WM WILL be noticed."

But that doesn't answer the question, does it? You want to talk about "common sense??" Common sense dictates that someone who's never shot an elk with a .308 should be listening, not expounding.

The .30-06 loads I've used were only a few fps faster than top .308 Win loads. Not enough difference to worry about. So while I've never shot an elk with a .308 Win, I have put .308" bullets into them at both .308 Win and .300WM velocities. I didn't see much difference except that the .300WM shots were at much further ranges and, unlike the .308 velocity shots, no bullets were recovered when using the .300WM. All were broadside shots. That's enough difference to for me to choose the .300WM for the longer shots.

My assumption when reading the OP's post was that he was curious what the differences are. The ballistic tables show, if nothing else, the differences in potential, which may or may not be noticed given a few shots at various ranges under different circumstances.

So far I haven't seen the OP complain about my answer. But you do - over and over and over....

Rent.
Free.
In.
Your (tiny).
Brain.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.