I won't address 300 vs 308 on elk, but will address trajectory. Out to 300 yards every bolt gun I've ever owned shoots flat enough to hit any big game animal with no more than a 1-2" hold over. At 400 or more none of them have shot flat enough to make the shot unless I knew the exact range and compensated for it. There is a big enough difference between 400 and 450 to make for a complete miss if I guess wrong. I'd still need a range finder along with either dots or dials even with a 300 WM. In reality there is only a 25 yard window around 300-350 yards where the flatter trajectory of the 300 is an advantage over 308. Twisting dials is more precise, but I agree too slow for most hunting. But a scope with multiple aiming points is precise enough and a lot faster.

And being honest about your skills is the key. Sure a 300 WM is more effective at longer range than a 308. But when I came to the realization that around 300 to MAYBE 400 yards was the limits of my skill level I sold my 300 magnum rifles and have hunted with 308 for the last 10-12 years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.