Originally Posted by jwall
Spec

You noticed that too ? huh

NO ONE ‘usually’ mentions the time involved in twisting turrets.
Gotta range first, read chart second, twist third, THEN aim/shoot!!!

Justsayin

Jerry

First, thank you JMR, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's a common misconception that magnums extend your maximum point blank range by a wide margin but they don't. This is getting way off topic but since jwall brought it up, here's an article by Ron Spomer on this very subject and he pegs the difference in MPBR between the .308 and .300 Win. on a 10-inch target as 320 vs 350 yards.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/elk-cartridge-showdown-308-win-vs-300-win-mag-vs-338-win-mag/

Second jwall, if you two noticed the same thing then you both saw something that wasn't there because you're talking apples and oranges here. Your first quote (the one I commented on) talked about "long shots." Most people who shoot at distances that allow them to take "long shots" with confidence don't consider anything within their MPBR a long shot. I was talking about long range, you guys are talking about MPBR and they're not one and the same.

Third, with respect to using the range finder and the time it takes, if you guys are taking "350+ yard shots" and "holding on hair" in open country without using a rangefinder to confirm the range then you're both knuckleheads.

A wise man is frequently humbled.