That rather "robust" study is actually completely irrelevant to my statement:

"Penetration given the same bullet is caused by how much velocity it strikes the target with". Note the words "same bullet".

That study takes into account 18 different bullets of varying weights and construction at different impact velocities. Of course those bullets will have different penetration characteristics based on construction, SD, and impact velocity and higher velocity may not equal greater penetration. It is also rather obvious that a 165 Sierra Game King (softer bullet) with an impact velocity of say 2820 will penetrate less than a 200 grain Barnes X (harder bullet) with an impact velocity of 2730.

My statement is referring to (as an example) that if a 165 Barnes TSX bullet is fired and leaves the muzzle at 2725 fps from rifle #1 and a 165 Barnes TSX bullet is fired at 3100 fps from rifle number 2 and the first bullet is travelling at 2200 fps at 305 yards and the second bullet is travelling at 2200 fps at 500 yards, the bullets are going to have the same penetration when it strikes the same type of target even though the target was at different distances.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 02/08/20.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]