Originally Posted by smokepole

jwall, I know you're not debating with me, so maybe you can explain how this all works to some of the other guys. At 500 yards where you KNOW the drop in trajectory, do you think holdover is just as good as matching your POA with your POI? In fact, do you think they're even close? Do you routinely shoot big game animals at 500 yards using holdover?

Second, you made the point that using a rangefinder and such takes time for guys who use turrets, yet you've found a way to use your rangefinder before the game shows up. How does that work, and why can't a guy twisting turrets also "scan the OPEN area BEFORE" the game is seen? Is there something about twisting turrets that prevents that??

I've been shooting my 9 mil & 40 SW so I haven't been here in a while.

I actually HAD most of my response typed and I hit something and my screen ENLARGED and I couldn't move it... so I'll
try again.

FIRST and Most important answer is NO I don't routinely shoot WT at 500 yds. I have killed WT AT 400 yds using MY MPBR using 270 Win, 7 RM, & 300 WM.
I've SEEN a few WT at 500 yds but they were moving thru a cutover with sagegrass, pine and oak regrowth and would NOT shoot. I never had one in the area of 500 yds in the clear long enuff to justify attempting a shot.

I've been using 400 yd MPBR since the 80s so I'm familiar and confident with it.
Using 270 W, 130 HSP @ 3100 fps and MY MPBR at 500 yds the drop is +/- 25".
I routinely use my 7 RM & 300 WM which shoots similar BC at HIGHER velocity than the 270.

An adult Bull Elk (which this thread discusses) is deeper from spine to sternum than 24" so hold OVER is minimal.
By OVER I mean above the spine.

Also from 400--500 yds I'm NOT trying to hit a 4 or 5 " target. Spine to Brisket is much larger.
So my POI has several INCHES in which to land.

I would NOT argue that Ranging & Turrets are less accurate. Certainly they SHOULD be MORE exact, NO question.
And YES guys who use LRF and Turrets sure can scan an area and mark landmarks AHEAD of time WHEN there is time.

I Still Hunt only - no stands - and I'd expect to hunt similarly in Mule Deer/Elk territory.

** Important ** I was addressing still hunting WHEN opportunities DON'T give you much or any time for adjustments.
That happens to ALL hunters in many situations. With a MPBR of 400 yds. NO time is needed to decipher trajectory.

Last year this guy showed up ONCE during our modern gun season,,

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This pic was taken during our Antlerless ONLY season.
During Buck season WE saw each other at the SAME time at twice the distance >>> he EXITED before I could shoulder my rifle.

I have Read & RE Read this post and I hope I've answered your questions.

I will not argue with anyone about MY MPBR. I've been using it @ 40 years.

IF I didn't answer a question, I'd try again.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!