Kings English. Laughing on that one.

So my take, with zero elk ever shot at. Its just like anything else.

Right bullet in the right place.

The problem comes with another poster, how often do you hunt , how far travel, what shots are you willing to take or not take?

Its all in the above that it gets covered. You simply don't take a shot you are not 200% confident in. 308 will technically allow less angle and less range. Though given the right conditions and my choice of bullet, I'd not hestitate in the right conditions to take an elk on with my 308 at a distance I won't type.

That said the mags with correct bullet tend to give one a bit more leeway in penetration, sometimes in bullet drop, and often in wind drift, though not always. Up to a point more bullet always gets deeper and thats a thing to think on if you aren't willing to travel a long way and pay big dollars only to see the south end of a northbound trophy and not shoot.

Mostly these days I'm willing to pass up a shot at anything at any distance if not comfortable and go home totally happy. Either conditions or such or I made a choice of to light of a round for the any situation kind of thing.

The very first thing to consider to me is can you shoot the gun and really deal with the recoil? If so carry on. Second thing is bullet choice and I'm just about 2000% sold on TTSX for about any and all uses except really long shots.. there I might defer back to the bergers we shoot quite often. Simply due to an accuracy thing PLUS either hunting or target I've never seen what I call a failure from a Berger for years now.

There is no shame on going down in recoil until you can handle a round. That said a suppressor is a big friend in shootability on many guns, if its not to long, big and heavy and you can afford it and its legal where you hunt.

Good luck!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....