What I haven't seem many (any?) here address is this from the OP's daughter's story:

She hopped in his truck(parked on their driveway) and started it backing it down to the street when lights came on.

Lot of unanswered questions can be formulated from that one thing.

First, backing down the driveway "to the street" can be construed as "intent".............at least it could be in my world.

Second, how far down the driveway did she get? Is there a sidewalk there? Even if no sidewalk, how far away from the centerline of the road does the right of way extend? Did any part of her vehicle cross that magic line?

Third, in backing down the driveway did she notice the popo vehicle and yield to it? Was the copper parked on the street or actually driving when he saw her operating the vehicle. If she did appear to be backing into the street in front of him, and he stopped her, did she appear intoxicated at that time? Boozy breath?

Given time, I could probably come up with a coupla more. Whole lotta unanswered questions.

cowman, I wish you daughter the best and sincerely hope she doesn't have an actual "drinking problem". If that sort of thing runs in your family she may want to nip it in the bud now, before it becomes a real disaster.

Good luck to you and the young lady.

Geno

PS another lesson to be learned here....................back INTO the driveway so you can see better coming out. It helps avoid many problems.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?