I traded for a .243 Pre-64 that looked pretty good until I peeked down the barrel with the Hawkeye. Very clean, but lots of pitting..

Oh well, sometimes pitted guns shoot. Well, not this one and I loaded a series of known .243 accuracy loads. I don't need a 2" .243...

So, it's off to JES in Oregon for boring to .358 Winchester. The muzzle OD is .565" which when you subtract .358", leaves only .1" or so barrel wall thickness. Jes said that would be fine, so I'm sure it will be.

His cost is $250 which includes return postage. Postage on my end with $750 ins was around $35 or so, ground UPS, leaving this PM to get there Monday. And he says he can get it done in a week.

Now, that's pretty amazing. I've never heard of a gun he's done not shooting pretty well.

So, I'm excited about a new round at half the cost of a new barrel in a light, handy rifle.

Reason for going .35 cal, I don't have one. I have a 6.5 Creed, so don't need a .260. Have a 7-08, a 308, .a 338-06 so don't need to duplicate any of those calibers. That leaves the .358 by default, and wanting to leave the M-70 set up as a SA Fwt. in the original stock.

I've been reading up on the .358 Win and it seems pretty versatile. It'll shoot .38 pistol bullets on up to 225 gr. rifle bullets. I know, 250's, but I'm not going there.

And I have nearly every powder mentioned for that round.

Will report. It's like Christmas in Aug for a Loony.

I'm sure you guys understand... grin

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/24/20.