Old thread, new report.

I shot my .358 JES rebored Pre-64 FWT today in Iberville Parish at their new $2 mil Parish range. It's first class, state of the art facility with very helpful and knowledgeable staff. Wife and I were in Baton Rouge, visiting family. I went across the Sunshine Ferry to the range with my nephew who had shot there before. He had ridden the ferry a bunch with his engineering job at a petro chemical plant down river. Covid and Sleepy Joe really did a job on that industry.

I brought a number of loads, most shot pretty good. The standout was this 160 gr. Cutting Edge Bullet (CEB), Raptor. The gun usually shoots 1" to 3", depending on the load. It really liked this one.

I've had good luck with the 135 gr. ER Raptor in my .308 Win, great accuracy, deadly on hogs. They do frag as advertised, the core blowing on thru for a good exit. Check out my review on that bullet. I've written one for the 160 gr .358 Raptor, but it's not yet posted. https://cuttingedgebullets.com/308-135gr-er-extended-range-raptor Accuracy with the 135 gr. .308 similar to this one.

I haven't killed anything yet with my 358, but this 160 gr. Raptor load should whack'em pretty well.

The gun has a new Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint, duplex type reticle and green dot. It's a quality scope in every way. The Leupold I mentioned earlier ended up on a Ruger Mk-II '06 I put together. I like the Trijicon on this one.

Anyway, just three shots, but I was shooting three shot groups with a bunch of loads, looking for loads with promise. Well, this one has promise, was a stand out. I'll load and shoot more groups. I'm not sure how fast it's moving, could be pushing 3K. Will figure that out later. This range session was to sight in the scope and do a load survey. Shooting a number of loads, the barrel can get pretty hot with strings of shooting and I can get an idea of what a load can do with three. I always take at least a couple of rifles, shoot one while the other cools.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/26/21.