Originally Posted by weagle
Got the Sako put back together and ran a few rounds down the barrel. Spec's on the rifle: Westernfield / Sako L57, Rebored from .243 to .358 win. Barrel shortened by Jess to 20". 1:12 twist, 3 Grove. Weighs 7lbs 9oz with the Redfield 3x9.

I didn't have a lot of time today, so I put together some quick loads with some 150 gr Remington SPCL (I have a bunch of these) and H4895. One reduced load and one standard.

Reduced load : 150gr Rem SPCL, 38.4g H4895, Winchester Brass, WLRP, OAL 2.62, 5 shot Average 1630 fps
Standard load: 150gr Rem SPCL, 46.7g H4895, Winchester Brass, WLRP, OAL 2.62, 5 shot Average 2309 fps

I was only shooting at 50 yds as I was just looking to get the scope squared away and few rounds down the tube.

The reduced load shot just under an inch at 50 yds, Fired cases were smoky all the way back to the rim. Very light recoil, but really just a plinking load, minute of Armadillo.

Standard load was promising. Not a max load but fast enough and after making some adjustments to zero the scope, the last 3 shots at 50 were almost touching.

I have about 75 200gr Winchester silvetips on hand that I plan to use for a deer hunting load.

The only barrel prep I did was pull a bore snake through before I started. Did not clean between shots.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's a slick rifle, you don't see those old Sakos everyday.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes