Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Joe, studying your loads info. I see you use H-4895 in one load, IMR-4895 in another. How much difference do you see?

How clean does 2400 burn in these loads? Some of my previous revolver loads with 2400 left granules of unburned powder.

I have some 4759, understand it's been discontinued. I may try it, but my luck it would be the best load with no replacement available.

I would think one would have to be very careful with Unique, not to double charge. I think I'll drop one charge, then seat the bullet, not do a gang at a time.

I have a bunch of 2400 and Unique, ended up with a stash after helping with the estate of a shooting friend. This should be a fun way to use them.

Thanks,

DF

IMR-4895 is slower and gave 1971 fps, while H-4895 produced 2060 fps. I had developed the load back in 1979 for a Savage 99 using Hodgdon but, I ran out and had some IMR which I utilized. My 23 grain load of 2400 is fairly clean burning but, not as clean as SR-4759 or Unique. The 4895 loads will leave a few powder zombies in the barrel but, accuracy isn't impaired. Yes do be careful when using Unique or any fast burning powder where a double charge could occur. You will have to work out what works best for you. When I'm loading 25-50 at a time, I place each case in a primer up attitude so I know any case with mouth up is powdered and then I look into them with a strong light. Be safe and have fun!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"