Originally Posted by rj308
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Will be interetesting to hear what JES has to say about that. He may or may not have an opinion on ballistics and powder burn, confining his remarks to what he actually does. But, will wait to hear.

I like my 22" Fwt. But with the ,358 Win, I'd think a shorter barrel would work, wouldn't have the blast of a short barreled .300 Mag or equivalent.

I think you'll lose less velocity per inch of barrel chop than with a higher intensity round. The shortie will be louder, for sure. Now if you're gonna thread and use a suppressor....

I personally wouldn't build a 16 1/2" .358 Win, although some single shot pistols shooting rifle rounds have even shorter barrels.. I don't have one, don't want one.

My hearing is bad enough already....

YMMV

DF

Back in the 80's, I was looney about single shot pistols. I had several Competitor rotary breech single shot pistols, To examine one, you would think that Blaser did the machining of the parts on these guns. The 12", 14" or 16" barrels could be swapped out in about 10 minutes and they were extremely accurate. The list of offered chamberings was as long as your arm. I had one with a 16" factory chambered for 358 Winchester. Of the bench, It would easily shoot MOA and I could shoot 3 shots into 1.5" to 2" @100 yards in the semi Creedmoor position, thanks to my years for IHMSA shooting. Yes, a bit of muzzle blast. RJ

Bet that thing was a hoot to shoot...

DF