Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
A Loony just can't help being a Loony.

I have more scope combos, load combos for this .358 Win than about any rifle I've ever fooled with and that includes a bunch.

The Trijicon 3-9x40 in the horizontal Warne med rings was within 4 clicks of being at the edge of the adjustment range. It worked OK,

But, a Loony just doesn't like that. So, I've ordered a medium set of Burris Signature rings and an offset insert set. I've adjusted the Trijicon to the center of the adjustment range. I went from end to end and found there were 270 clicks, wall to wall. So, I went half way with elevation and windage, which should have the reticle pretty well centered.

I'm going to manipulate the offset inserts until it's as close as I can get it, then fine tune POI with the scope adjustments. To the Trijicon's credit, there was no evidence of optical issues at the edge of the adjustment range. It's just the idea more than anything.

I've never used Signature rings, but have read good things about them. I think I can bore sight the rifle, adjust the offsets to get pretty close, then shoot it.

Those rings aren't as easy to remove and replace as the Warnes. Hopefully, I can remove the bottom screws and slide the rings off the bases.

Any advice?

DF

I have had to use the Burris rings a few times, especially on P64's. My 338 Alaskan is bad enough that it just about maxes out elevation in a scope on flat mounts, so the Burris XTR's work perfect to get some elevation back into the mix.

They are a bit of a pain to get mounted, but I wouldn't fret it too much DF, Favor the insert to the windage correction and I bet you'll be darned close.

I haven't tried sliding them off like that but I think it might work since the Burris rings with inserts will take the stress off the tube.

Semper Fi