Operating a scope at or near optical center is theoretically preferred, although with the excellent Trijicon optics, I couldn't tell any difference. I found I was just a few clicks from adjustment limits as I was sighting in the load. It worked well, as one can see from the group I posted. It's just the idea of getting as close as one can to optical center for no other reason than, just 'cause.

After Beretzs related his experience with mounting scopes on P-64's, I realized that may just be a fluke with P-64's. I have other P-64's, haven't encountered that, but as he mentioned, I did use the old fashioned Redfield bases with the external windage adjustments. Ya reckon that could explain why such a mounting system was popular back in the day?

Signature offset inserts seem to be a good option for this rifle and I'm gonna give'em a whirl... I want to keep my Weaver bases, which work with other scopes set up for different type loads, like pistol bullets, etc.

I've had a lot of practice bore sighting, can generally put one on the paper at a hundred. I'll set up on a solid bench, bore sight and tweak the inserts until the optically centered scope is on target. I'll tighten down the rings, double check, then shoot. It should be close enough by then to complete the sighting in with scope adjustments and be pretty close to optical center..

DF