Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
This old vid has made the rounds but if you haven’t watched it give it a looksee.

It's a dead elk for sure, but it's pretty clear it was hit quite far back in the butt or spine. Not exactly great shooting, but it got the job done that day (we all have off days and sometimes get a gift). Of course none of that is to say the 243 won't work on elk - it obviously will. I'd just not use that video as some sort of 6mm/elk testimonial. Quite the opposite, I'd say it's a bit of an indictment of shooting at 688 yards in wind by what appears to be a relatively inexperienced shooter.

Based on the trace, it looks to me like the bullet impacted high, just behind the front leg (shoulder blade/spine shot).

If that was the case, typically it would have dropped at the front end first. It didn't, it dropped butt first, then at the front indicating a rear shot, probably high in the rear spine.

And the wind was blowing right to left.

The whole thing is pretty irresponsible.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery