Reasonable assessment.

Originally Posted by Rossimp
The 243 Win gets a lot of use in the USA. It is a flat shooting hard hitter out to 300 yards. There are a large number in American households and it will perform on deer size game very effectively. Because it is readily used throughout the USA on deer it is logical to grab premium bullets and kill elk with it under favorable shot presentation, especially if you are recoil sensitive. Is it effective, yes but not the best choice on a 600-700 lbs animal. At least for me that’s how I see it.

Lets say your planning a plains game hunt in Africa, typically a one rifle affair. Your looking to shoot gemsbok, zebra, wildebeest and sable. You show up with a 243 Win, what do you think your PH would say? Perhaps he’d say you are slightly undergunned for the task at hand, he’d probably suggest a bigger camp rifle and remind you that your going to pay regardless of recovering or not recovering the game you shoot. Would he be confident with your choice, would you be confident. Would you opt for a larger caliber or stick with your 243 Win? Possibly extreme example but elk are the same size and larger than some of the plains game mentioned.

To each his own.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.