Wow......impressive.

243 on Moose? Was that all they could afford? Did they actually set out to hunt Moose with a 243?

So.......that gut-shot P&Y bull went perfectly, as planned? Can't help it......all over the map again.

Do you think that old elk-wounder would have shot more......with a 243.......than his old 30-06? Or, would he still just dust ol' Betsy off before the hunt? He was a local.....wonder if he eventually got his elk.

Amazing, you hang out with such great people......that top shelf is sure high.......and no lost/wounded animals over all those years. Surely no misses either.

Help me out, if you will. How do you know to refuse the money of a paid 'bad' hunter.....before they make that bad shot? Watching them shoot bale targets assures nothing, when it comes to poor judgement and decisions in the field.

Originally Posted by BuzzH

You're all over the map...I can't help you with your choice of friends or who you guide on your place. Maybe pick better friends or better clients...not my pig, not my farm.

Same with the elk that you saw wounded...not sure what that has to do with anything, but OK.

I lost one elk with a rifle, that I eventually found. A spike bull that I just flat made a bad shot on at about 80 yards with a .338 and 250 grain partitions. Shot 17 other elk with that rifle as well as numerous deer, a dall sheep, black bears, shiras moose, etc. and it worked fine, not much different than the other rifles I've shot big-game with. Still have it but the last time I shot it was at a muskox in AK several years ago.

No, never witnessed any problems with a .243 on deer, elk, pronghorn, bears, bighorn sheep, and watched a friend kill a moose with one in Montana as well with a 100 grain sierra...one shot and that was that. The folks I hunt with are top shelf and know how to hunt, shoot, etc.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.