I have a "sort of" .243/cow elk experience. Back in May of 2001, I was recovering from a neck fusion surgery I had done in late 2000. I had read a story by Mike Venturino (sp?) about the the wildcat 6x47mm ( 222 Mag/6mm) He touted it as a very good combo coyote/deer round. I was "only allowed" by the surgeon to shoot non-recoiling firearms ( his words, said in front of my wife! uh oh! ha) so I had a muzzlebrake put on an existing 220 Swift and used it successfully on mule deer & exotics. (Prior to this hunt) I then had a Model 700 SA made up with a 27 inch barrel in 6x47mm. I shot the Barnes 85 XBT aa solid 2900fps ( short barrel 243 speeds easily) I killed an Axis doe, a big Axis buck and then I had an opportunity I couldn't pass up. I made a trade with the Rancher for another rifle I had and some money for a Scimitar Horned Oryx. The outfitter was a little nervous about my light rifle, but we had hunted many times together and he knew I would wait on the right shot. We got a bull and a few cows, and could not get closer than 184yds ( lasered range finder) I was on my knees (grass a bit high) held the rifle against a sapling and I shot the bull at the base of the neck. He dropped straight down. I walked up and from 75yds I gave him an insurance shot ( on his side, his chest was facing me and I out one it in. He was already dead, but get this.,. The neck shot was a complete pass through and the 2nd shot penetrated and broke/stopped in the backbone! It weight 83gr if I remember right, ha. This was a big oryx, and though we guesstimated "500 pds" he was most like closer to 375 or a tad more. Cow elk sized. A fluke? No, I "intentionally" shot the thing "on purpose", ha. It was "the only rifle I had, at that time, that I was allowed to use, and it was either that or stay home! I enjoyed the experience, I love to tell that story, ha, but I really do like to use a bigger rifle on elk. I've only killed 4 cow elk (no bulls at all!) smallest round was a 30-06, largest a .375 H&H! But man is it fun! To each his own Pard, if "you" know you can shoot it, go for it!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/05/21.