Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd like to explore how absolute that is. Texting driver crosses the centerline slams into you head-on, that's your fault? You are riding in a protected bike lane. The kind where there is a row of cars between the road and the bike lane. A drunk driver slams into a parked car, knocking it into you, is that your fault?

Among motorcyclists there’s a truism.. “It ain’t IF you’re going down, but when.”

Indeed, I got lucky and somehow walked away from my big motorcycle wreck, no helmet and all. A good friend nearly lost a leg in his, suffers chronic pain and now has to keep a cane handy.

I think cycling on the road is far more dangerous than on a motorcycle, you will post stats showing that it isn’t, but having put in many miles on both I know how many close calls there’s been.

On a road bike it ain’t if you’re getting hit but when. Getting killed out there is a real possibility but at this point in my life, that ain’t the worst possibility.

Texting driver scenario? Yep if I hadn’t been out there on a bicycle I wouldn’t have gotten hit. Drunk driver etc etc... no me, no bicycle, I wouldn’t have gotten hit (the ‘Fire would say the exact same thing grin)

Some years back my own family suffered a tragedy in a large part because of someone’s error in judgement. Coulda sued, was encouraged to, didn’t. It wasn’t intentional and suing would not have brung that person back. Suing ain’t what we do.

Would I sue? Actually prob'ly not.

YMMV

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744