Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
[quote=Birdwatcher][quote=PaulBarnard]See how easy it was. It's not that cyclists are hard to see. It's that motorists are inattentive. We sure went through a lot to get here.

No, this is just more Paul Barnard smug wordplay.

To whit: The drivers are wrong, they don’t find bicycles hard to see, they’re just being inattentive.

or.... Drivers are wrong, bicycles do not present a road hazard to drivers if they ride in a legal manner

Any time I see the words "hard to see," assuming daylight conditions, it means less likely to steal the attention of a marginally engaged driver.

It means less likely to steal the attention of ANY driver.

I’m familiar with this phenomenon from my years on motorcycles, drivers are less likely to see a motorcycle approaching, so they sometimes pull out in front of one. Happens to every rider. This is why if you’re on a motorcycle and you’re smart, you ride with the headlight on, better yet with a strobe effect. Still can happen anyway.

Whatever the Paul Barnard version is, is irrelevant to the reality on the street of course.

I guess its just a matter of time before you run over a hard to see cyclist.

In my pickup? Could happen, could happen to anyone. They’re called “accidents”.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744