Originally Posted by Okanagan
A recent annoying bicycle anecdote to contribute:

Wife and I were in Olympic National Park last week, driving down the mountain from Hurricane Ridge to Port Angeles. The speed limit is 35 mph on a curvy downhill two lane road, park speed on a road that could handle faster. Medium heavy traffic and a fair number of bicyclers, co-existing just fine, courteous and passing safely.

Then we caught up with a line of vehicles following behind one bicycle that stayed in the center of the right lane or out toward the center line of the two lane highway. The young man on the bike seemed oblivious to the number of cars piling up behind him and hogged the lane for nearly four miles before he pulled off into a viewpoint. He had plenty of wide shoulder sections to ride that would allow plenty of room for cars to safely pass him, with no need for him to slow down. He was averaging 25 mph, a few times slower and a few times briefly got up to 35.

Simple. Courtesy.

I never let cars stack up behind me. As soon as I can safely get out of the way, I do.

Another annoying anecdote. I rode my bicycle up and over Independence Pass from East to West into Aspen. On the way down, I was passing cars when I could, being held up at times by slower moving cars. None moved over.