Originally Posted by krp
Again... pedestrians have right of way and bicyclists don't like it... ironic...

Kent

Nope. I can't speak for "cyclists" just like you can't speak for "motorists" but since I started this dumpster fire I'll speak for myself.

It's not that pedestrians have the right of way that I don't like. Pedestrians must have the right of way, there's no way around that and I don't know any bikers that begrudge them for having the right of way. Like birdwatcher said, a bike rider has to make allowances for not only walkers but slow riders, kids on tricycles, dogs on 20 foot leashes, etc. There's an elderly woman who gets out on the local trail in her motorized wheelchair and she gets the royal treatment by everyone who passes her. And she's always over to the right so people can pass.

It's what some pedestrians do with their right of way (or rather don't do) that I don't like. That being, hog the trail so that faster traffic can't pass.

The irony is, when they're in their car driving to the trailhead and come across a biker riding on the road, they expect the biker to move to the right so they can pass. Hell, some have commented right on this thread that bikers shouldn't even be on the road. But when those drivers are walking down a trail, some don't have the presence of mind to show the same courtesy and stay to the right. The golden rule and all that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.