Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Hundreds of motorists safely passed you because they saw you. What could magically make you hard to see to a driver in the same conditions on the same road?

No magic, just inevitable human fallibility, the same thing that happens to those horribly unfortunate parents that unwittingly leave their infants in hot cars every year. It is inevitable that a fraction of drivers passing me will not see me.

You are not asking a lot from me as a driver to not run over you when you are riding in compliance with the law. I am telling you, it is ridiculously simple.

I think it’s a lot, it is of enormous significance to me. To hear the comments of most drivers they think it’s a lot too.

You will reply that of course they are wrong because, in your opinion, they are wrong. The sort of smug pronouncement that PO’s people about cyclists. They think we’re all like you.

Few people run over cyclists on purpose, many who do were not otherwise violating traffic laws, they simply didn’t see and/or weren’t expecting the cyclist.

Pedestrians are forbidden on roadways because of the hazards to themselves and vehicles. Every other slow-moving vehicle, much larger and harder to miss than cyclists, has to be clearly marked.

Laws are always a compromise, is this case the law allows a hazardous situation. So I ride at my own risk and accept responsibility for assuming that risk.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744