Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
What design features on a Scooter protect the passengers in a collision?

Brakes, lights and tires subject to annual inspection do make collisions less likely. Also the disparity in speed between them and motor vehicles is less.

If they cannot maintain certain highway speeds they are banned on some highways specifically due to the disparity in speed, yet many of these same roads are legal for bicycles, go figure.

When driving, I have never been "distracted" by a bicyclist. I negotiate them like I do any other law abiding motorist or pedestrian.

Bicyclists are not hard for me to see, assuming daylight conditions. If they are hard for anyone to see, it's time to get corrective lenses or get the hell off the road.

This is exactly the sort of presumptive statement that gets ‘Fire members PO’d at you and further besmirches the image of all cyclists grin

Using your logic, pedestrians are hard to see, so they go in the same group of "at fault" when some dipschidt hits them.

If a pedestrian were walking where a road cyclist rides it would be called “jaywalking” and the motorist would probably not be held liable as long as they did not leave the scene.

The trauma suffered by the motorist and the vehicle could be significant however.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744