Originally Posted by OGB
I read constantly about leupold failure.

I'm not doubting any of it.

My question is, is the problem that when dialing for range they don't do so reliably/return to zero? Or do they fail to hold zero period?

I ask because I'm looking hard at a fixed 6X the intent being to zero and shoot/hunt. No dialing wanted. Set and forget.

Leupold failure. Sure it happens, like ANY mass produced item, there will be failure from time to time. Sell a bazillion, and there will be a number of them. Some due to straight up equipment failure, or manufacturing defects. Some due to poor mounting jobs, and some reported "failures" will be because the operator doesn't know how to shoot or properly zero a rifle. Sadly I have helped a number of people zero rifles at the range that where blaming their equipment for their inability to get it done rather than their lack of knowledge or experience. The "Leupold bad" phenomenon started here on 24HR campfire. It has spread to other forums from time to time to be sure, but you can almost always tell where they got their info and opinion from, as the wording and statements are almost mirror image of what gets posted here. This website is a fine one, but it's poorly moderated and has a contingent of foul mouthed individuals that your average person wouldn't stop to give the time too, because of their poor attitudes. Unfortunately when they push their agenda there are some weak minds that can't help but just repeat it as gospel. Even though some of these folks are paid shills for offshore manufacturing companies selling offshore scopes. So, is Leupold the be all end all, no they aren't. I have no doubt there are better scopes for 1000 yard plus shooting. For a solid performing hunting scope, they are pretty darn good. I have no doubt some folks have had some bad luck with Leupold, just as I've had consistently good luck with their scopes, I've had the same good luck with Burris and Bushnell (with the exception of a couple really cheap bushies). Zeiss has been good to me too. I've even managed to make the Leupold CDS system work somehow. So take what you see with a grain of salt. Some of it is true, but some of it is pure hokum.

Last edited by meat sticks; 03/22/23.