Originally Posted by Bugger
I have a few. Mostly M8's. But also, FX's and various variables, which are mostly 3x9's or 2x7's. I like my FX3 - 6x's the most. Then the other FX 6x's, then the M8 6x's. I have a few M8-4x's and a couple higher fixed power too -- very tough scopes, I think. Variables = bleh, I've only bought variables when I couldn't find a fixed power.

I've had a couple problems with Leupold's.

The first came on a rifle. The previous owner may likely have used a set of pliers to adjust the scope setting as tight as he could, he bitched that it was 'foggy' and shot way low and to the right. He guaranteed that all the adjustments were as tight as he could get them. I couldn't free the adjustments, and neither could Leupold evidently. They sent me a new scope.

I had one or two others that they rebuilt as the POI changed. These were old scopes.

I prefer setting the POI as perhaps 1" high at 100 meters or perhaps 2" or 3" depending on the cartridge. I know what the trajectory is and therefore can aim as needed, without adjusting anything - no dialing for range and no adjusting the variable power setting. When I go out, I review the expected elevation POI before I go. I also check the wind and direction and I estimate the defection at certain ranges. Other than PD's and pronghorns I rarely shoot past 300 yards.

If you spin the elevation turrets or set the variables on 9x and have a deer run past you at 25 yards, I'll try to feel sorry for you.
Yesterday was asked by a good bud which Leupold. From what he was asking, the FX3 6x42 seemed a good choice, in fact he mentioned it and I agreed it would be about optimal for what he was wanting to do, set and forget.

DF