Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad shot a grizzly with his 7 Saum when I lived in AK. It’s more or less a short action 280 performance wise. 150gr Partition from 150 yards or so.

I know another guy who killed a nice peninsula brown bear with his 280. 8.5 footer.

Visited with many villagers who had cell phone pics of grizzlies and polar bears they’d slewn with various rifles, mostly 222s and 223s with the Mini14 being fairly popular.

Villagers aren’t dropping $20K +, plus travel and miscellaneous expenses for a hunt!

There’s no doubt that most any animal on Terra-Firma can be killed with a 22 Hornet…..but probably not prudent…..nor legal in many places. If it’s my hard earned money, I want to kill my bear…..not have the guide kill “my” bear! My photo, shown with a light rifle, posed with a bear killed by someone else…..ain’t how I want to spend my money! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 11/21/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024